5 Tips When Dealing with a Renovation During a Pandemic l SERVPRO® of The Lower Shore
Renovations and remodeling during the pandemic have increased nationwide as more homeowners are available to address needed projects. With so many “Do It Yourself” jobs underway and the limitations set forth on everyone due to COVID-19, material costs are on the rise along with extended shipping times and contractor shortages. One specific way to reduce the frustration and stress associated with home improvement projects is to let the specialists manage your home restoration needs. SERVPRO® can be your one stop shop as we are able to address your project from start to finish.
Before you begin any work in your home, here are few tips to consider;
- Research the material and products you are interested in utilizing prior to speaking with your contractor. Make sure they are able to adequately answer any questions you may have and seem knowledgeable in all aspects of the project.
- Have an agreed upon construction plan worked out in advance and secure a legally binding contract as well which includes rough time frames for completion and outlines the way in which communication will take place.
- Ask questions about safety, including addressing COVID precautions, and settle any issues outside government regulations on how they might be handled. Will you allow access to a restroom? Will the contractor supply an off-site facility?
- Determine a fixed budget, payment schedule and how you prefer to work out unforeseen issues. Do you have a contingency fund? Who is purchasing and providing the materials?
- Be prepared for noisy days, possible loss of internet and electricity services and minor intrusions of your privacy. Make sure your plan allows for as minimal inconvenience as possible with items like zipper partitions, boot covers, masks, gloves and clearly designated off-limit areas.
Professionals, like SERVPRO®, will follow local, federal and state COVID guidelines, and will be proactive in assuring the safety of their clients and staff.
SERVPRO® of The Lower Shore provides services from mitigation to reconstruction and repair after a loss, which can greatly reduce the time and stress experienced. Contact us to find out more about our reconstruction services.