Staying Safe While Using Your Home’s Fireplace l SERVPRO® of The Lower Shore
If your family enjoys spending an evening by the fire, you’re not alone. For many people, a wood-burning fireplace is an attractive feature for a family living room. They’re especially popular during the winter months when long nights at home make a warm fire especially appealing.
Wood-burning fireplaces can be very safe if they’re used the right way. Before you start a roaring fire at your home, take steps to be certain your fireplace and chimney are ready to warm your family safely.
Fireplace Safety Basics
Before you light your fire, you’ll need to ensure your chimney is capped and doesn’t have any cracks. You can get your home inspected and your chimney checked to be certain that it’s ready to be used.
Here are a few more things to do before you start your fire:
Consider cracking a window. Even though it’s probably cold outside, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends this step to ensure your family is getting adequate clean air.
Add a screen. Fireplace screens are important to help protect your family from the dangers that an open fire can represent.
Clean your fireplace. Don’t let ashes and debris gather. These can cause a fire hazard if you light fire after fire on top of them.
Keep your fireplace clear. Not only is what’s inside the fireplace important, what’s around it matters, too. It would help if you kept your fireplace area clear from rugs, wood, paper and anything flammable. Don’t let kids or pets too close, either.
Be prepared for the unexpected. Have a fire extinguisher handy. Also, be certain you have working smoke alarms and a carbon monoxide detector.
If your home is damaged due to a fire or any other cause, you can always count on us for restoration assistance. We have crews who are available 24⁄7 in the event of an emergency. Contact us at any time to learn more about our restoration services and how we can help.