How to prepare your Salisbury Maryland business for flooding
With over 40 years of experience, SERVPRO Franchise professionals have restored flood damaged homes and businesses from coast to coast. Here are our SERVPRO approved tips for preparing your business for a flood.
BEFORE THE FLOOD
- Have a qualified professional elevate the furnace, water heater, electric panel if susceptble to flooding
- Install Check valves in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your business
- seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to avoid Seepage
- arrange to have a free Emergency Ready profile made for your business in advance so if the flood does happen, then you will be able to manage the restoration process remotely
- make sure you have flood insurance, flood insurance takes 30 days to get into affect so it is imperative that you have it long before you need it.
- Document your business. Take quality pictures of vehicles, Computers, inventory and office set up. You'll be glad you have this later.
During the flood:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches, or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical appliances
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water
- Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
After the Flood
- Listen for news reports to learn if the communities water supply is safe to drink
- Avoid floodwaters. Water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline, or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by flood waters
- return to the business only when authorities indicate it is safe
ABOUT SERVPRO OF THE LOWER SHORE
SERVPRO of the Lower Shore are the flood clean up experts in the Eastern Shore area. IF a flood strikes your business, give SERVPRO of the Lower Shore a call, even minor floods have the potential to cause major damage to a structure when not treated quickly and properly and the clean up is often and overwhelming task. The SERVPRO team at SERVPRO of the Lower Shore is prepared to handle any size disaster and help make it like it never even happened.